Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: service misidentification

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 23:56:34 -0500

Josh,

Unfortunately, no. Removing the `sslports 3389` line will not make any
difference in the detection of RDP on nonstandard ports. I guess that you
may have a different change also in the file, such as adding 33896 to the
`ports` line of the TerminalServer probe.

What we really need in order to solve this problem is a probe that matches
(or approximates) the first message sent by an RDP client *within* the TLS
tunnel. It looks like the one sent by libfreerdp is 432 encrypted bytes,
but I'm sure we could pare that down. It does not appear to be a regular
RDP_NEG_REQ message, since that gets rejected, no matter what protocols I
add to it.

If we had that probe, we could correctly identify the service even if the
TLS probe matches first (which it does currently, because TLS is more
likely to be discovered than RDP on some unusual port).

Dan

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Josh Amishav-Zlatin <jamuse () gmail com>