Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC idea for ambitious students: making Nmap port-scan behind proxies!

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 16:28:29 +0100

Hi,

Jacek "d33tah" Wielemborek here - last year I mentored an Nmap GSoC
project related to enhancing Nmap proxy capabilities. My little dream is
to have a reliable way to port scan services using Nmap and thought I'd
reach out to potential GSoC students in hope that one of you could help
us get there :)

Last year I posted a call for testing [1] related to my small patch [2]
that basically replaced all connect() calls with their counterparts that
use Nsock. This - at least in theory - should make it easy to use Nmap's
port scanning engine with proxies since Nsock abstracts away the heavy
lifting associated to making proxy connections.

Unfortunately, even though the patch is just "243 additions and 206
deletions", somehow a bug crept in. To be honest I'm not yet sure what
actually happened - a good starting point would be a David's post about
the false negatives the patch generates [3].

I'd be grateful for getting us closer to have this functionality working
- any new clues are definitely welcome. On my end, I'd be more than
happy to answer any questions on how parts of ultra_scan.cc work
together - given that I once spent entire summer trying to rewrite the
port scanning engine, I believe that I can provide some information.

Cheers,
d33tah

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q3/13
[2] https://github.com/d33tah/nmap/commit/306e2c65ab04?diff=split