Nmap Development mailing list archives

extra hosts in DNS query

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:00:16 +0000

I've just been running a scan and noticed two problems, the first is
the obvious seg fault, which was a bit annoying, but the second is the
mis-match in host numbers when the DNS resolution was done.

Stats: 0:17:45 elapsed; 0 hosts completed (61 up), 61 undergoing Traceroute
Parallel DNS resolution of 63 hosts. Timing: About 98.41% done; ETC:
22:52 (0:00:00 remaining)
Stats: 0:17:55 elapsed; 0 hosts completed (61 up), 61 undergoing Script Scan
NSE Timing: About 87.86% done; ETC: 22:53 (0:00:01 remaining)
Segmentation fault

This was the command I ran:

nmap -T4 -oA xxx_scripts -iL ips -PN -A -sC

The ips file has 61 entries in it and all through the scan it was
looking at 61 hosts right up till it did the DNS resolution where it
jumped to 63.

Running version Nmap 7.01 installed on a fresh Kali box. The box
doesn't have internet connectivity so I can't easily update it and
I've only got a limited test window so may not be able to reproduce or
debug the problem but thought I'd report it in case someone wanted to
look at it.

Robin