Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How about sometimes showing an OS fingerprint even if there's a match?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 17:09:50 -0500

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
wrote:

What about if we print a submission fingerprint with a low probability
(like 0.1%) even when there is a match? Then we might get more
fingerprints and corrections for our existing classes. We would add a
special marker to these fingerprints, because people might be tempted to
just fill in whatever Nmap already guessed.

This is what I was thinking. Since a match is based on a high probability
(>90) and low novelty (<15) maybe we could set some different criteria for
printing a submission print; we could collect the number of prints in the
matched group and prompt if it is below a certain threshold (5 to 10). We
could prompt submission for matches with a higher novelty, too, to get more
natural variation in the reference prints. Thoughts on these ideas?

Dan