Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Problem: using my PC to scan on same subnet??

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 06:17:26 +0100

W dniu 19.11.2015 o 18:35, Linn, John pisze:
I am using Nmap software to scan a network checking for open ports
and services the problem I face is when I scan the network I need to
set the ip of my PC to be on the same subnet as the network.  This
makes the scan results very big because the program finds my computer
and does a scan on it as well. The results of this scan seem to be
the largest and I do not need them is there a way to have the program
omit the scanning of my PC? Can someone please help me solve this
problem? Perhaps there is a way to omit my PC by issuing a different
command? Thanks for your help!

The command I am using to scan is as follows. nmap -sS -sU -p 0-65535
-T4 -v --max-scan-delay 1 --min-rate 600 <IP Address of Router>/26

How about --exclude?

https://nmap.org/book/man-target-specification.html#idm246881549344

Documentation says:

--exclude <host1>[,<host2>[,...]] (Exclude hosts/networks)

Specifies a comma-separated list of targets to be excluded from the scan
even if they are part of the overall network range you specify. The list
you pass in uses normal Nmap syntax, so it can include hostnames, CIDR
netblocks, octet ranges, etc. This can be useful when the network you
wish to scan includes untouchable mission-critical servers, systems that
are known to react adversely to port scans, or subnets administered by
other people.

You can use that to exclude your own IP.