Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Rename service name of port 502 from 'asa-appl-proto' to 'modbus'

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:53:42 -0700

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Paulino Calderon <paulino () calderonpale com>
wrote:

Hi list,

Recently I had the opportunity to test our SCADA/ICS scripts in a lab with
Stephen J. Hilt and I noticed the service name of port 502 is outdated.
Currently nmap-services marks port 502 as asa-appl-proto which could be
confusing if we are expecting modbus. It seems that a few years ago the
port was allocated as 'asa-appl-proto’ [1] but IANA marks it as ‘Modbus
Application Protocol’ [2]  now which seems more appropriate.

What do you think about renaming this service? I couldn’t find much
information about asa-appl-proto but it seems it is used by Cisco IOS XE
3.16S and IOS 15.5(3)M only. [3]

Sounds fine to me!  I just renamed it to 'mbap', which is now the official
IANA name as you note.

Cheers,
Fyodor