Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 host discovery Bug in 6.47 -- perhaps newer versions

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:52:57 -0500

Allen,

Thanks for reporting this. We were aware of a problem sending raw packets
on FreeBSD 10 and later, because of a change in network address byte order,
but that results in no packets being sent at all. I'm not sure what could
be causing the problem you're describing, but please answer a few more
questions for us, and we will try to debug:

1. Is there any way at all that you can use 6.49BETA5 for this test? It is
always much easier to debug the current release than to work with an older
release, and you will get a more capable product as a whole.

2. What is the output of this command, and what does tcpdump show?: nmap -d
--packet-trace -sn -n scanme.nmap.org

3. Are you running Nmap with root privileges every time? The default
behavior when root privileges are not available is to try a TCP connection
to ports 80 and 443, without ICMP probes.

4. Is there anything unusual about your network environment? For example,
when my FreeBSD VM was running under Oracle VirtualBox with NAT, VirtualBox
dropped the ICMP Timestamp Requests and intercepted the raw TCP packets,
trying to perform a complete TCP handshake instead of passing along the raw
SYN and ACK packets expected.

Dan

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Allen Landsidel <landsidel.allen () gmail com>