Nmap Development mailing list archives

Why port 22 has been removed from Probe TCP GenericLines?

From: ryan chou <jkryanchou () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:19:42 +0800

Hi

    I download the latest version nmap-services-probe to compare with old
version, and found the port 22 has been removed from Probe TCP GenericLines
ports list. So could anyone tell me the reason about this modification?

    According to this modification,  the method to get fingerprint of port
22 could only be scanned with TCP NULL which was just only setup up
connections on target. Why not keeping both Probe NULL and Probe
GenericLInes? As far as i thought, they both could get the fingerprint from
port 22.