Nmap Development mailing list archives

Andrew's Status Report - #1 of 17

From: Andrew Jason Farabee <afarabee () uci edu>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 22:46:53 -0700

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew (pasca1 on #nmap) and I'll be working on refactoring, bug
wrangling, and feature creeping this summer. My first tasks are related to
SOCKS proxy scanning, so that's most of what I've been doing this past week.

Accomplishments:

* Lots of meetings with my mentor, d33tah. Some of the things we discussed
were:
    -Scheduling meetings
    -Means of communicating
    -Stateless/Stateful & Synchronous/Asynchronous scanning
    -Use cases for TOR hidden service scanning
* Learning the SOCKS protocols (SOCKSv4, SOCKSv4a, SOCKSv5)
* Learning about how TOR works
* Coding a proof of concept to demonstrate simple scanning via SOCKS
    -Still needs a little work, but we have had success scanning tor hidden
services
    -Learning how to write cleaner code
* 3/4 midterms

Priorities:

* Wrapping up SOCKS scanning proof of concept
* Familiarize myself with nsock/src/proxy_socks4.c and related src files
* Discuss strategies for bug wrangling and refactoring with d33tah
* Study for my OS principles midterm ;)

Thanks a lot for this opportunity everyone! Feel free to contact me about
anything!

Andrew