Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap + Ncat + /dev/urandom = tarpit

From: Nick Marsh <nmarsh1980 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 21:06:48 -0500

I was having fun with Ncat and wanted to see if I could create a tarpit and
throw Nmap for a loop. My plan was to cat /dev/urandom on a http port. It
worked on the first try. Not sure if this is the expected behavior, but I
though I would throw this out there just in case. Steps to reproduce below.

# Target
ncat -lkv -p 8080 --sh-exec "echo 'HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n'; cat /dev/urandom"

# Scan
nmap -A TARGET
nmap -sC TARGET

# Result
In both cases, Nmap uses up all the available RAM on the system and dies.
Tried this on 6.40 and 6.47 Linux and Windows respectively. The Linux box
exits with code 137. The Windows box throws Application Error 0xc0000005.