Nmap Development mailing list archives

Yang's Status Report - #9 of 17

From: 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 21:39:28 +0800

Hi list,

Accomplishments
 * Fixed the bug that NPcap driver is installed with an incorrect
certificate. [1]
 * Improved the README for NPcap. [2]
 * Added descriptions to the top of source files in NPcapHelper project. [3]
 * Rechecked the EV cert stuff. I am surprised to find out that current
NPcap driver CAN be successfully installed into Windows 10 Technical
Preview 10102 x64 WITHOUT disabling "Driver Signature Enforcement". The
reason turns out to be: "To ensure backwards compatibility, drivers which
are properly signed by a valid cross-signing certificate that was issued
before the release of Windows 10 will continue to pass signing checks on
Windows 10." (see for details:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows_hardware_certification/archive/2015/04/01/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10.aspx).
As we already bought a one-year normal cert, it seems that we can use it
for signing all-platform software currently, but we need to decide whether
to buy another normal cert for several years to use, or just let the
current cert expire and buy an EV cert next year. As Win10 release is
coming on July 29, it left us nearly one month to make the choice.

To test NPcap:

1) The installation package for NPcap is:
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/npcap-nmap-0.01.exe

2) My custom Nmap executable is: (based on Nmap 6.49BETA3)
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/nmap.exe

Priorities
 * Work on how to integrate NPcap into Nmap.
 * Have a meeting with Fyodor for the next step.

Cheers,
Yang

[1]
https://github.com/nmap/npcap/commit/856c549bca3f6566c58c54e06d80fbbc4bd6e3d7