Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: update to nmap-mac-prefixes

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:15:36 +0100

On 17 June 2015 at 16:12, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com> wrote:
W dniu 17.06.2015 o 16:48, Robin Wood pisze:
I can understand script dependancies changing and being a pain to
maintain but what about datafiles like this one? How often does the
format of these change?

Robin

I second the question - I wouldn't expect the datafiles to rely on
implementation changes as much as NSE. Maybe instead of nmap-update, an
NSE binding for pulling the datafiles would be feasible? I mean
something like:

nmap --script=update-datafiles

Also, if the script pulled down the raw data then it would parse it
into the file format it required so whatever version of the script a
user has the file created will be appropriate for them.

A flaw with this is if the provider changes the file format, the best
way around this would be to have some very solid validity checking and
keep a backup of the previous datafile in case a problem is found.

Robin