Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Hop Limit as feature in FPEngine

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:07:56 -0700

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 06:15:06PM +0100, Alexandru Geana wrote:
The accuracy per method is as follows:
    1) using the value without any processing   66.037
    2) only the scan line                       66.037
    3) scan line or simple guessing             66.415
    4) scan line and simple guessing            66.037
    5) scan line and guessing with error limits 66.037
It seems that there is not enough data at the moment for this feature to
have a big impact, but I was curious as to why strategy #3 has a higher
accuracy. I found out that it all boils down to 6 packets in the group
"Equinox...", print 1 (of 2) which has have the hop limits set to 1 for
all probe responses except NS which is 255. The other print of the same
group has hop limits of responses set to 64 except for NS which is 255
again.

I believe that my reasoning for the smart guessing method is better
suited, even if it more complex than the other ones. The fact that it
places each hop limit in the correct category with a high degree of
accuracy and discard incorrect values (to be later filled in via
imputation) should increase accuracy in the long run.

Okay; whatever. It seems like it doesn't matter much, and it's not like
we're locking ourselves into anything. Be sure to add a block comment or
a link to this thread so that a read will understand what's going on
with er_lim.

David Fifield