Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE: tor-consensus-checker

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:16:33 -0500

Jiayi,

Thank you for this script! It definitely shows a good understanding of the
Lua language and NSE in particular. Please refer to https://nmap.org/soc
for details on applying to Nmap for GSOC 2015.

Regarding your script, I think a few modifications are in order:

1. Instead of relying on the http library cache to reduce the number of
requests to the Tor directory nodes, the script should have its own cache.
This would preferably be a table so that IP lookups can happen quickly. As
written, your script checks linearly through each large consensus document,
each of which is mostly a duplicate of the others.

2. stdnse.format_output is deprecated; it is much simpler to just return a
string.

3. If the consensus servers cannot be reached, then a verbose message
(stdnse.verbose or stdnse.print_verbose) should be given once, and the
hostrule should return false to prevent the script from running. Producing
script output (by returning a string) for every target with a failure is
probably too much output.

Looking forward to seeing your application.

Dan