Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: connect scan issue ?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:44:06 -0600

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Mike . <dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:

dan,
you have been super helpful in taking the time with me when no one else
seems to care to. anyway, maybe something else that can be remedied with
the connect scan option is the timeout level. i just tested it about 5
times today. granted, i dont have the fastest PC, but it took 20 seconds
after i threw a control C to end the scan! i know about the limitations you
mentioned with privledged sockets and all, but that seems excessive for a
term time, don't you think? SYN is instantaneous when it stops on demand.
is this also normal behavoir and can we set a timeout value of say 1-3
seconds?????

mike

Mike,

Even if it seems like nobody else is helping, please continue to use the
dev () nmap org address for Nmap-related questions. I do Nmap work full-time,
so I handle a lot of the email traffic, but there is an outstanding team of
volunteers who have massive amounts of in-depth knowledge about Nmap usage
and internals that can also help, even if it's not as quickly as you may
like. Also, that way other list subscribers can benefit from the answers.

Regarding termination time after a Ctrl-C on Windows, we don't have any
particular code that causes a wait. The most likely thing is that there is
a socket operation in progress that needs to finish before the process
completes. That would be entirely out of the application's hands to
control. Hopefully, someone with more Windows programming experience can
step in and let us know if my guess is correct.

Dan