Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE scripts for scanning IPv6 sub-nets

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 08:25:55 -0600

Raúl,

I'm sorry it has taken us a year before your scripts made it into Nmap, but
I can happily say that targets-ipv6-recon-map4to6 was added in r33851.

I'm pretty sure I can work through the others fairly well, but I'm curious
about your technique for interrogating DHCPv6 servers to enumerate subnets.
I'm reading through your thesis paper, but my spanish is poor, especially
in regard to technical topics. I would appreciate a short description in
English that answers these questions:

1. Are all DHCPv6 servers vulnerable to this technique, or does it need a
specific configuration to work? I understand that network devices and ACLs
could block the script, but I mean aside from that.

2. Why can we not just get the subnet directly from the DHCP server? Is the
process of forwarding a request very different from a DHCPv4 request, in
which the response would have all necessary information like netmask,
broadcast address, gateway, etc.?

3. Is there a potential for an automated system of determining subnets 1
bit at a time? Example: given the network 2001:db8:c0ca::/64, can we try
2001:db8:c0ca:8000::/65 and 2001:db8:c0ca:0::/65 and get a rejection from
only one of them? This would allow us to treat the server as a binary
oracle and build a tree of valid subnets.

I apologize if some of these questions seem elementary, but my knowledge of
the protocol is not very deep at the moment, and I have too many other
projects to be able to delve into it deeply. I just need to know enough to
categorize the script and perhaps enhance some of the documentation. Thanks!

Dan

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Raul Fuentes <ra.fuentess.sam () gmail com>