Nmap Development mailing list archives

[RFC] Dropping nmap-update from the Windows installer and zipfile

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 16:01:56 -0600

List,

The nmap-update tool [1] is a partially-deployed updater for NSE scripts.
Its use is limited to authorized users (currently limited to just
developers) and it has not seen any code change since October 2012. While
trying to build it with Visual Studio 2013, I discovered that it will not
run without recompiling libsvn, because of a version mismatch in OpenSSL.
The instructions [2] indicate that rebuilding libapr and libsvn will not
work on a newer Visual Studio than 2008, which reached end of mainstream
support in April 2013 [3].

I propose removing nmap-update from the official Windows installer and
build process until someone can spend the time to work out these issues (or
revive the project). I would accomplish this by:

* commenting out the relevant lines in the installer config,
* Removing the nmap-update Project from the Nmap Solution file, and
* Noting the decision in the libsvn-upgrade.txt file.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or objections to this plan.

Dan

[1] We don't even have any online documentation! This is a generated
manpage from somewhere else:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/nmap-update.1.html
[2] https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-mswin32-aux/libsvn-upgrade.txt
[3]