Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for NMAP

From: Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 08:40:38 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Daniel Miller wrote:

Is there a way to timestamp the connections?  The "-v" flag doesn't do
it, and I can't find any other flag.

You may find the --packet-trace option useful. It will print a line of
output for each sent and received packet. The times are relative to the
start of execution, which is already timestamped in the output file.

Thanks!  Sounds like what I'm after.

[...]

We already do lots of client emulation to retrieve useful information.
The service version detection scan (-sV) and NSE script scanning
(--script) are the primary examples. But your example seems to show
*server emulation* to gather information about clients. This is not
something that Nmap is suited to, but you could probably do something
with our sister program Ncat using the --exec, --sh-exec, or --lua-exec
arguments.

Many thanks again.  Yes, I want to emulate a server; it's amazing how
quickly the all-of-IPv4 scanners will find open 22/25/80 ports etc.

And I've been pointed towards Lua; looks like a cool language, and I'll
certainly buy the book.

-- Dave