Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 OS fingerprinting crashes on Ubuntu/Debian with UFW enabled

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:43:45 -0500

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org> wrote:

Is Nmap itself actually crashing/quitting?  If so, then I think we should
at least handle this more gracefully.  Printing a useful warning message is
fine, and probably desirable to help us track this issue.  I guess
continuing with OS detection without that probe seems reasonable, though in
that case we should probably mark the fingerprints as not good so we don't
ask the user to submit them.

Yes, Nmap was quitting with pfatal at this point. r33619 should allow it to
continue, but marks the whole fingerprint as "incomplete" which prevents it
from being suggested for submission. The fix was a bit more invasive than I
would have wished (new bool members for FingerPrintResults and FPHost), but
it should work no matter what probe fails to be sent. The error message
regarding the contents of the probe is still presented, just changed to not
be fatal, so we can debug these issues in the future if necessary.

Dan