Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap marking ports with invalid SYN+ACK TCP checksums as open?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:50:59 +0200

List,

Yesterday I discovered that if Nmap receives a SYN+ACK during a
SYN scanning that has an invalid TCP checksum, it will say that
this port is open. This is different than how operating systems
behave and exploiting it sounds like an easy way to confuse the
scanner.

Why is it implemented this way? bonsaiviking on IRC suggested it
might be "that we'd rather not miss an open port just because of
a bitflip error somewhere". Still, this might be an interesting
piece of information that the host is responding with corrupt
checksums, so maybe Nmap should at least print a warning message
if this happens?

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek