Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] --exclude-ports option for Nmap

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:27:50 -0500

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Jay Bosamiya <jaybosamiya () gmail com> wrote:

 I would have a
limited time span for which I can run the hourly scan and my top-ports
number is limited by this.

This sentence was enough to change my opinion on the topic. --top-ports is
semantically an "optimize my time" option, which is why the "fast scan"
option (-F) is an alias for --top-ports 100. If --exclude-ports reduces the
total number of ports scanned, then it changes the tradeoff calculus, which
we should probably avoid.

I think you have enough to start coding now.

Dan