Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Enhanced Output Patch

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 12:34:24 -0400

Hi Devin,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM, devin bjelland
<devinbjelland () gmail com> wrote:
I finished writing a patch based on community suggestions that Patrick had
started a while back. print_debug and print_verbose have been superseded by
debug and verbose respectively. Scripts should no longer pass SCRIPT_NAME
to these functions as stdnse now determines the running script. Depending
on the debug/verbosity level, the target ip and/or thread ID is also
printed. To do this, several new functions have been added retrieve
information about the running script.

Here are a few more changes I would like to see for this patch:

o Add aliases for debug levels as extra function names:

function debug1 (...) return stdnse.debug(1, ...) end
function debug2 (...) return stdnse.debug(2, ...) end
function debug5 (...) return stdnse.debug(5, ...) end

and the same for verbose. The goal is here is to make these
debug/verbose statements take up less space on a line. I'm tempted to
even suggest using d1, d2, d3, d4, d5. Anyone have thoughts on that?

o The single-quotes surrounding script ids (e.g. 'html-title') in
other parts of NSE should go away for consistency. For example:

NSE: Finished 'http-title' M:0x2b6b6a0 against localhost (127.0.0.1:80).

o I realize updating the entire code base to the new debug/verbose
functions is quite an undertaking (a good reason by itself for
backwards compatibility) but we should at least update a flagship
library to increase visibility of the new right way to add debug
statements. I think the http library is a good choice. You may also
want to write some simple regexp to correct the simpler (i.e. easy to
fix) calls to debug/verbose in scripts/libraries.

--
Patrick Donnelly