Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap Stopped Working

From: Emily Ann <emilyanncr () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 19:39:23 -0700

Hi.  I regularly run nmap off my Windows 8.2 machine and have never
experienced a problem.  I ran several today. After successfully completing
over 2 dozen without issue, I recieved the following error from my last
scan:

Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-05-10 19:24 US Mountain
Standard Time
NSE: Loaded 118 scripts for scanning.
NSE: Script Pre-scanning.
Initiating Ping Scan at 19:24
Only ethernet devices can be used for raw scans on Windows, and
"ppp0" is not an ethernet device. Use the --unprivileged option
for this scan.
QUITTING!

So I ran another scan on a website I've already successfully scanned today
and received the same error again. I've tried scanning several more that
I've previously scanned successfully and received the same results. Nothing
has been updated or touched on my computer.  It was literally working min
then throwing errors the next.

Also, why am I never able to use ncrack successfully?  People make it sound
as if password cracking using software tools like ncrack, brutus, THC, is
super easy but in all the tests I've fun I've not come back with one
possible password? So frustrating.
--
Thanks

Emily