Nmap Development mailing list archives

Should nmap fall back to -sT if we can't perform a raw scan?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:18:43 +0200

List,

On my system, nmap's executable has selinux privileges allowing it to perform
raw scans, which I turn on by default by exporting NMAP_PRIVILEGED="1". Today
I noticed that this setup breaks scanning localhost:

[13:16:20][~/workspace/nmap-svn]$ ./nmap --privileged localhost

Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-04-29 13:16 CEST
socket troubles in Init: Operation not permitted (1)

Perhaps we need to fall back to -sT in some cases, such as this one?

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek