Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE crash in socket_lock when connect used in prerule

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:23:22 -0400

On Mar 26, 2014 9:21 PM, "David Fifield" <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
The crash is in the last lua_rawset call in socket_lock. I suppose it
has something to do with there not existing a script thread at the time
the prerule is called. It seems like you should be able to use a socket
in a prerule, though. Is there a good fix for this?

Early on I (?) decided to not allow socket connections in rule functions.
The reason for that is NSE isn't structured to loop over rule functions
which have made connections. That is, if a rule function yields, then NSE
must resume it when the socket operation is complete and get the rule
function result. I think rule functions need to be short and simple or
every script is blocked in the rule evaluation step.