Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Gsoc suggestion

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:46:41 +0000

On 16 March 2014 11:58, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:
Robin,

In my experience, this is almost always related to an NSE script that is
hanging. While not a solution, here is what I do to determine what is going
on:

First, make sure I can run nmap with terminal interaction, e.g. "sudo -s;
nmap" vs "sudo nmap" (see this bug, still unfixed:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q2/29). Then when I get to the "99%
complete 1 second remaining" status, I press "d" to increase debugging to
level 2. At debugging level 2, pressing any other key gives a status report
that includes Lua stacktraces of all running NSE scripts. It can get very
verbose, especially with the new-ish Nsock debugging output, so I don't do
it normally, but it can be handy in a pinch.

Dan

Useful to know.

Robin