Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] CCTV cameras detection script

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:40:32 +0100

25/02/2014 09:35:52 Subhankar Rj <subhankar.rj () gmail com>:
Hi,

I found this interesting idea in Nmap script ideas for detecting CCTV DVR
installation in a network.

I am a beginner, although I have been using open source softwares like
Backtrack, Ubuntu, Wireshark, Snort, Nmap and few others but it is my first
time trying to contribute to an open source project. I know C, C++,
Networking and recently Lua.

Please forgive me if my question is silly, i am willing to learn.

To detect CCTV cameras is it sufficient to scan port 5921 TCP and see if it
is open ? As this port is mostly used for streaming CCTV videos.

Personally I'd also send a few probes to the port to make sure it's not just
one of the SSH/HTTP/etc. services running on an uncommon port. The question is
whteher an NSE script is actually necessary there - perhaps a simple probe
(see nmap-service-probes) would do?