Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -sT localhost showing ephemeral ports?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 22:24:36 -0800

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Robin Wood <robin () digininja org> wrote:

I'd have thought that to anyone reading your bug report it would be
obvious that there is something wrong. He is correct that it is legal to
connect to yourself he just seemed to miss the point.

Is it worth resubmitting it now you have the reputation you do and would
have quite a bit of backing?

Well, anyone is certainly welcome and encourage to try and work with them
to get this fixed.  Like usual, sending a well written patch along with a
good explanation is often the most effective form of persuasion.

I sort of gave up on it after that email thread 15 years ago, but others
are welcome and encourage to try.  But the good news is that it is a pretty
minor issue (hasn't even come up in years) and there are workarounds we can
take which don't require a kernel fix.  It's not like Microsoft removing
raw sockets in Windows XP SP2 which caused and continues to cause much more
serious disruption.

Still, it would be nice to see it fixed in Linux.

Cheers,
Fyodor