Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE scripts for scanning IPv6 sub-nets

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:49:44 -0800

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 09:55:39PM -0600, Raul Fuentes wrote:
Hello, I was working with Nmap for my master's thesis which consist on
 exploring IPv6 sub-nets, the work were based on the ideaas proposed on
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-02

As Nmap was key for my thesis I took the choice of made  my work  with the
Creative Commons license  and the nse scripts with the 6.20 nmap licensing.

This is cool! I saw your scripts at
https://code.google.com/p/itsis-mx/source/browse/.

1 -  Low-bytes - Be able to scan ::1 to X:X:X:X::FFFF:FFFF
2 -  Map 4to6:  Be able to scan 192.168.1.1 as X:X:X:X::192.168.1.1
3 -  SLAAC: Be able to scan EUI-64 address and popular VMs (work until 24
bits)
4 -  Woords: A simple dictionary of the low parts (defualt words like C0CA,
BEEF, etc)
5 - A technique proposed by myself for retrieve syubnet info from DHCPv6
stateful servers.

What do you think about adapting the scripts to match our existing IPv6
target scripts?

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-echo.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-invalid-dst.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-mld.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-slaac.html

For number 1, low-bytes scanning, I think that is well-handled now by
Nmap, because it supports CIDR ranges for IPv6 addresses.

David Fifield