Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Integrating nikto fingerprints on runtime

From: George Chatzisofroniou <sophron () latthi com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 02:47:54 +0200

Hello Christian,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 08:53:51AM +1100, Christian Heinrich wrote:
Is there a tangible benefit in leveraging nmap over Nikto, such as
speed or was this rather an academic exercise?

I don't think there is a concrete reason for doing this. I can think of some
advantages like:

* Nmap features, like multiple host/port scanning, output in various formats
etc.

* NSE specific features, like Lua, HTTP pipelining, caching etc.

* Unified results (along with the rest of Nmap output) during a testing.

Maybe Nikto support some of these, i'm not sure.

Also, will nmap include the
http://packetstormsecurity.com/papers/IDS/whiskerids.html features
too?

This is an interesting paper. Some of these features are easy to implement and
they would probably make a good addition to NSE.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM, George Chatzisofroniou