Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: "Windows does not support scanning your own machine (localhost) this way" shows all scanned ports

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:16:25 -0500

The todo states:

o When scanning your own IP from Windows, Nmap currently recognizes
  the problem (can't do a raw scan like that on Windows) and skips the
  SYN scan, leading to Nmap printing a bunch of ports in "unknown"
  state at the end.  Nmap should probably act like unprivileged mode
  in this case (e.g. do a connect scan, etc.).  See
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2013/q3/519

I think this could also be remedied just on the output side of things
by using PORT_HIGHEST_STATE to indicate end-of-iteration for
PortList::nextIgnoredState instead of PORT_UNKNOWN. Since PORT_UNKNOWN
is a valid (sort of) state in this case, it results in never being
able to collapse them into an extraports element. PORT_HIGHEST_STATE
will never be a valid state, on the other hand.

I just don't think it would be good to pick a different scan mode than
what was requested in this case. I'm sure Windows doesn't support
scanning localhost with -sA, either: what would we fall back on in
that case?

Dan