Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r31654 - nmap/nsock/src

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:25:55 +0200

2013/8/6 Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>:
Log:
Include "nbase.h" for __attribute__ define on Windows.

I needed this on Visual C++ 2010 on Windows XP.

Must come from r31600. Sorry for the regression... We should consider
having a (hudson?) build farm at some point maybe.

Or just take the patches from Windows users seriously.
The Windows port has fallen behind the last years.
Some of the test programs doesn't even link with MSVC. E.g. a simple program
like test-cmdline-split.c uses stuff from ncat_posix.c. It was easy to fix.

--gv
Hi,

I don't quite understand your comment.

I submit _all_ my substancial patches to the list before I check them
in, asking for testing and feedback. For smaller ones (like the one
which I think introduced this regression) I send an email afterwards to
signal the change.

Very often I even stress the fact that I can't test on Windows (because
I have no windows box) and that I'd especially appreciate feedback from
windows users. I hardly ever get anything until patches get merged.

When I happen to break something I work with reporters until things get
fixed, despite being unable to test myself.

You're talking about patches from windows users that were not taken
seriously. We have no bug tracker and many of us only work on nmap on
their spare time. I pay attention but sometimes miss things, so If a
patch of yours didn't get noticed, well I'm very sorry but it's also up
to you to send a reminder after a while...

That said, I'd be really glad to read your suggestions on how to do it
better if you think I'm doing something wrong, because I care about
all users and portability in general.

--
Henri