Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Building an anti-proxy with ncat

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:53:02 -0700

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 04:13:34PM +0000, Frantz, Chris wrote:
I have a simple patch for ncat that can be used to create an
anti-proxy (or maybe an un-proxy).  By using the destination NAT rules
in Linux iptables, you can create a private subnet on your company's
proxied network that behaves/believes the proxy does not exist (e.g.
has direct access to ports 80/443).

The patch for ncat allows it to learn the original destination address
of an outbound connection and broker that connection transparently
through the real proxy.  My need for this functionality has to do with
playing with software packages that use git or ruby's bundler at
runtime with no clear way to configure the relevant proxy environment
variables beforehand.

Thank you for the patch. If I understand correctly, this need is
satisfied by the new NCAT_REMOTE_ADDR and NCAT_REMOTE_PORT environment
variables.
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2013/q3/90

These aren't in a release yet, but are in the latest Subversion.

David Fifield