Nmap Development mailing list archives

Tiny DNS server written in Ncat-Lua - anyone interested?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:12:13 +0200

Hi guys,

In d33tah/lua-exec-examples I was playing with fundamental Internet
protocols and came up with a tiny DNS server and a simple HTTP server
implemented in Ncat's new --lua-exec feature. While David is convinced
that the HTTP server could prove useful, he wasn't convinced about the
DNS server.

That's why I'd like to turn to you - before I invest more time in the
server, I wanted to ask you if you would find it any useful. It's a
simple DNS server you can run with --lua-exec only that is capable of
responding to type A requests with IP addresses, forming answers based
on the table from its source code (I could easily add reading it from
an external file). I have to admit it's completely RFC-uninformed, I
only used a sample connection dump I made with Wireshark.

Currently it's just 111 lines of code and would probably work for
embedded environments. Also, I believe it has some educational value -
it shows how to handle a simple request and how to reply to it and how
easy it is to create such a server under Windows.

So, what do you think of it? Are there any basic features that you'd
like to add to it? Do you think you would use it? ...or perhaps do you
have any other good reason to add it add it to standard Ncat
distribution?

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek