Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat + Lua - GSOC feedback request

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:26:50 +0200

2013/6/17 Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>:
On 06/17/2013 11:46 AM, David Fifield wrote:

What I'm saying is that trading the syntax
        ncat -t
for something like
        ncat --lua-script telnet.lua
is bad. Lua code could be used internally to do some of the things we do
now with code in the middle of read/write loops. On the other hand, C
code could also be used to do that, with better factoring of the main
program.

Do you suppose that (farther down the road,) Ncat could expose an API for
adding and consuming command-line options within Lua? The model I'm
imagining would treat the Lua components more as "modules" than "scripts,"
enabling a different set of features depending on which are "loaded." For
example, this simple connection:

     ncat nmap.org 12345

Could become a connection to a Telnet server over SSL like so:

    ncat --with telnet,ssl nmap.org 12345

Or via a SOCKS proxy like:

    ncat --with socks5 --via proxy.example.com nmap.org 12345

where the --via option is valid because a --with module of "proxy" type was
loaded. Alternatively, existing short options (-t, -C, etc) could be
"shortcuts" that imply the loading of a specific feature set.

What we're heading to is a plugin system instead of a scripting one. But I
have to admit I love this idea!