Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Paper] New Idle Scan Techniques

From: Mathias Morbitzer <m.morbitzer () student ru nl>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:24:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

My name is Moe, I'm currently working on my thesis to finish my studies in computing security.
In my work, I analyzed if the TCP Idle Scan can be ported from IPv4 to IPv6. To tell you the answer: With some
modifications, yes, it can!

An article and my final thesis with the details are planned to be published in summer/fall.

But enough of the advertisement. After creating a proof of concept with scapy, I would like to implement the TCP Idle
Scan in IPv6 in Nmap, but I have a hard time on deciding which implementation method to choose: Implementing it
directly in the Nmap-core or creating a lua-script.
For me, the more logical would be the core, but then I found this post from Henri in which he patched Nmap so that he
can create the RST rate limit scan with NSE. (Which is somehow similar to the TCP Idle Scan in IPv6)

Now, my question is: Which way of implementing my scan would you recommend?

Regards,
Moe