Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to contribute to Nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 00:33:53 -0700

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:59:23PM -0400, Wooyoung Chung wrote:
I'm aware of GSoC and I'm interested in a position for Discovery
Scanning or Vulnerability and exploitation
since that is my study field in graduate school. But because I have
two finals in three days, I may not able to
do much work for it at this moment.

To get some experience of lua and nse scripting, I wrote a simple
nse script that was on the script idea list.

Thanks for this. This feature should really be implemented in a reusable
library under nselib, not as a script.

The goal is to enhance the output of ndmp-version and smb-mbenum
scripts. You should think how to make a nice library function to do
that. It's best if you make a patch to either of those scripts showing
how your function will be called.

**Microsoft Version Table:
    I think this is pretty straight forward to write a function for
this, but I need to clarify something.
    Basically, the function will take major, minor and build number
as string, and return long windows version
    name if exists in the list[2]. However, there are some duplicate
version with different name such as
Windows 7, RTM (Release to Manufacturing)     6.1.7600.16385 (22.10.2009)
Windows Server 2008 R2, RTM (Release to Manufacturing)
      6.1.7600.16385 (22.10.2009)

and I'm not sure how should I handle these cases.

Probably you will have to map the build number to a list of
possibilities.

David Fifield