Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [ GSoC Nmap scripting engine ]

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:11:04 -0400

Hello Ashish,

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Ashish Raste <rasteashish () gmail com> wrote:
I'm Ashish from Singapore. I went through the GSoC ideas list of Nmap.
Being a guy interested in network security and system security, I'm willing
to work for the Nmap scripting engine project. Some of my recent works in
the security related concepts are hosted
here<https://github.com/ashishraste>(a minifirewall and arp-dns-attack
code using pcap library)

Thanks for sharing previous code you've worked on, it helps us get to know you!

My preference list on that project are (i)Vulnerability and exploitation,
(ii)Discovery scanning and (iii)Web scanning.
My concern is on the Lua scripting language which I'm not familiar with but
I believe that I can catch up with it quickly.

There are may resources for learning Lua. Programming in Lua 1st ed.,
written by Lua's architect, is available for free online [1,2]. There
is also the NSE chapter in the Nmap book, also available online [3].

1. I am currently following the vulnerability announcement lists including
Bugtraq. I would like to know the expectation for this project and any
starters that you can recommend?

Take a look through the Script Ideas page on the wiki [4].

3. Can I submit my initial solution in a pseudocode format or in Bash
scripts until I get a hold on Lua?

We typically suggest trying to reimplement a simple script like
http-title.nse to get the hang of NSE.

[1] http://www.lua.org/pil/
[2] http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html
[3] http://nmap.org/book/nse.html