Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSOC Project

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:28:11 -0700

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:06:40PM +0800, "Abhinav" wrote:
    My name is Abhinav and I am very
interested in the "Zenmap GUI developer"project you’ve recently posted on GSOC-2013 project ideas list. I am
currently doing my Masters in Computer Applications at Anna University,
Chennai, India. I have been interested in working with UI,Python and was
hoping to find out a little more about this project. So I would be able
to effectively shape my proposal for this project, demonstrating why I
am a quality candidate for this project.

If you've tried using Zenmap, what did you find hard to use or
confusing?

Search for "Zenmap" in this file: https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/todo/nmap.txt.
(Make sure you only look at things that are above DONE in the file.)

Two very worthwhile tasks are:

o [Zenmap] should actually parse and use script results. See
   http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/1108
  - We have an initial prototype, but probably need to redo because it
    doesn't present the results in the way we'd like yet due to
    problems implementing such a presentation with GTK, etc.

o Make Zenmap settings get upgraded when the Zenmap executable is
  upgraded. The per-user configuration files such as scan_profile.usp
  and zenmap.conf are never overwritten once installed by Zenmap, so
  changes and fixes to those files don't reach anyone who has
  installed Zenmap already. This is most noticeable with changes to
  profiles and highlight definitions are notably affected. This fix
  may involve hard-coding settings that are not normally configured by
  users (like highlighting) or updating the per-user files at startup
  (only those parts that haven't been changed by the user).

David Fifield