Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap OS detection over OpenVPN v. 2.2.1

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:01:33 -0800

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:07:28PM +0400, Антон Конвалюк wrote:
I have got a virtual pentest lab (ProxMox VE). And for outside
connection I use OpenVPN (bridged). It works fine, but there is a
problem.
I'm trying to nmap MS Windows 2000 machine in VE. To do it I use
Backtrack 5 R3 connected to virtual network over VPN. But nmap cannot
recognize remote OS.
But if I close my VPN connection, add network interface (with IP from
the same subnet as Backtrack 5) to MS Windows 2000 machine and nmap
it, everything is OK.

According to the fingerprint you sent, the VPN is changing the TCP
window and MSS, which is the reason why it fails to match.

Use the --osscan-guess option whenever you just want to see the closest
matches and you don't want to see a fingerprint.

David Fifield