Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Getting Elapsed time and the Nmap does Not generate the Report

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 02:34:49 -0800

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:50:36PM +0530, Abu Faisal Tauheed wrote:
I am using the latest Nmap 6.25 for the port scanning.

I have configure ACL on the Node(Network Element) which will block all
the tcp and udp traffic except some.

Observed behavior : When I have the above configuration in  the NODE
and  start the UDP scan alone  on Nmap, it does not generate any
report and it takes forever to complete the execution (actually it
never complete the execution).

UDP scans can take a very long time because of response rate limiting.
It is important to understand this before beginning. I recommend that
you first try scanning a small number of ports, for example with the
command
        nmap -sU --top-ports 50 --reason -d
That command should take not much longer than a minute to run. If you
see messages like
        Increasing send delay for <target> from 0 to 50 due to max_successful_tryno increase to 4
it means you are encountering rate limiting and the scan will probably
take a very long time. Unfortunately there is no way around it. UDP
take over 18 hours to scan 65,535 ports, if that's what you're doing.

When I was using Nmap 6.01 then I did not face this problem, It only
started happening from Nmap 6.25.

I am unable to find the 6.01 from your website, If possible can you
please provide me the Nmap 6.01 so I can test and re-confirm you guys.

Please try http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-6.01-win32.zip or other packages
under http://nmap.org/dist/.

David Fifield