Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFC 6864 - Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:27:02 -0800

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:34:41PM +0000, jah wrote:
What impacton Nmapwill the changes described in [RFC 6864] have, if
and when the changes are implemented?

After a quick skim-read, I suggest that some OS detection tests might
be affected (IP ID sequence generation and Shared IP ID sequence
tests, for example).

Thanks for sending this in. Probably it won't require any code changes
in Nmap. If the new standard causes OSes to change the packets that they
send, it is likely that we will pick up the changes in new fingerprints.
I don't know if there are new probes required in order to detect the
changed behavior.

David Fifield