Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: I want help from you about the nmap errors on Aix 6.0。

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:52:53 -0800

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 09:46:46AM +0800, 815837122 wrote:
Dear author,

         I want help from you about the nmap errors on Aix 6-0.The error lists are like this,I don't know how to deal
with it.Sorry to bother you ,but I really need help to solve the problem.Hope for your reply.

# nmap -sU -p 161  192.168.8.182

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-01-24 15:54 GMT+08:00
pcap_open_live(en1, 256, 0, 200) FAILED. Reported error: BIOCSETIF: en1: File exists.  Will wait 5 seconds then retry.
pcap_open_live(en1, 256, 0, 200) FAILED. Reported error: BIOCSETIF: en1: File exists.  Will wait 25 seconds then
retry.
Call to pcap_open_live() failed three times. There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating
system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet or recompile your kernel with PACKET
enabled.
 *BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter
support.  If you are getting No such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use
mknod).
*WINDOWS:  Nmap only supports ethernet interfaces on Windows for most operations because Microsoft disabled raw
sockets as of Windows XP SP2.  Depending on the reason for this error, it is possible that the --unprivileged
command-line argument will help.
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost or the address of an interface and are getting '/dev/lo0: No such file
or directory' or 'lo0: No DLPI device found', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can support advanced localhost
scans.  You can probably use "-Pn -sT localhost" though.

I suggest that you first try version 6.25, which you can get from
http://nmap.org/download.html#source
This version has a newer libpcap and may work for you. If not, please
respond.

David Fifield