Nmap Development mailing list archives

"dnet: Failed to open device" errors on AIX, as root

From: Ben Lentz <ben.lentz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:44:08 -0500

Here's the latest from IBM; it sounds like 0x0800 is loaded for any
interface that is in an up status and therefore NMAP cannot also call
this type. David found another bug reported against AIX where the type
needed to be changed to 0; which I did, but it did not resolve the
problem.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

As far as I can tell there is no way for this to work as its currently
designed without the work-around switch.

Im not allowed to debug 3rd party applications for obvious reasons but
if the vendor believes this is an AIX issue I would be glad to work with
them and run it down.

-Tom Phillips
IBM AIX Development Support, Austin
ltp () us ibm com

Hi Ben,

The dump shows what I assumed which is that ent2 has the following
demuxer types loaded:
    u_short ethertype = 34525(0x86dd)  ETHERTYPE_IPV6
     u_short ethertype = 2054(0x0806) ETHERTYPE_ARP
     u_short ethertype = 32821(0x8035) ETHERTYPE_REVARP
     u_short ethertype = 2048(0x0800) ETHERTYPE_IP <<<<<<<<<<
.
The nmap application, according to what Ive been told, is trying to load type
0x0800 but that is already loaded by AIX for IP packet handling.
.
There must be some additional AIX configuration since it appears this
would never work on a configured interface.
.
Is this supposed to be running on an interface that is UP but not
configured?

-Tom