Nmap Development mailing list archives

FW: Windows scan localhost in version 6

From: Larry P <saaz2 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:48:11 -0500

Yes it looks like a tcp connect scan works.  I'm pretty sure that in general that I did not get accurate results in my
environment unless I ran a syn scan.

In this particular case though the primary purpose of this scan is to gather the mac addresses for all devices on the
local subnet.  I have this running on about 100 subnets for change detection.  A connect scan does not return the
target mac address as far as I can tell so I need to run a syn.  There certainly are a dozen ways to get my own mac
address, but consistency and simplicity are key.