Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Implementing nsock server mode

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 21:58:58 +0200

2012/9/23 David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>:
I like this idea and I like that the patch is so concise. I'm tempted to
just merge the patch so we can easily begin working on it.

To me, a goal for listening sockets in Nsock is to replace the the
handcrafted loop in ncat_listen.c. For that, it may be that all that's
needed is SSL support. In ncat_listen.c, we apparently found it
necessary to have an fd_set of sslpending_fds, separate from the listen
set and the read set. Probably Nsock will need some special handling
like the condition in ncat_listen_stream:

            /* Is this an ssl socket pending a handshake? If so handle * it. */
            if (o.ssl && FD_ISSET(i, &sslpending_fds)) {

I bet we can have a listen call that takes an SSL_CTX (and requires the
caller to set it up with certificates and everything, like Ncat
setup_ssl_listen does).

David Fifield

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I agree about the ncat aim. I'm not 100% sure
yet how to handle SSL best in the new API, so I see two options. If
you have something clear in mind I can check the patch into trunk,
otherwise I can open a branch on nmap-exp where to experiment. Just
tell me what you think is best.

Regards.

--
Henri