Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP crash -- more

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:21:11 -0700

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 01:29:07PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:

I think this is unrelated to the problem of exceeding the socket limit.
OS detection seems to ignore -S the same way it ignores -g and other
options. See http://nmap.org/book/man-bypass-firewalls-ids.html.
Ignoring -S is probably a bug. But I think you will see the same during
OS detection against any host, not just this one that is exceeding the
socket limit.

For what it is worth, -S seems to work with -O in my quick testing.
For example, I did this on my Linux box with latest svn:

./nmap -S 127.0.0.2 -p8080,2000 -O localhost -e lo --packet-trace

And all of the sent packets came from 127.0.0.2.

Or maybe one of your recent changes fixed this.

Cheers,
-F