Nmap Development mailing list archives

[RFC] NSE nmap.registry cleanup

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:58:12 -0500

List,

I've attached 5 patches that all do about the same thing, but to various scripts and libraries. Basically, I wanted to audit the use of the nmap.registry, since the documentation [1] states that per-host registries should be used as often as possible to conserve memory across long scans. Most of these uses were in the form of nmap.registry[host.ip][keyname] = value, or nmap.registry[SCRIPT_NAME][host.ip] = value.

The less-straightforward patches are:

0003: snmp-interfaces used to store MAC addresses for mac-geolocation to use. mac-geolocation doesn't exist anymore since Google removed the service it depended on, so I stripped all registry use out.

0004: netbios.lua used nmap.registry["netbios_names_" .. host] to cache results, since its functions required an IP or hostname argument, not a host table. I changed these to accept either an IP or a host table, since broadcast-netbios-master-browser only has IP info available. The library now uses host registry when available, but checks the global registry if the first check fails.

One possible (non-default) candidate for reducing memory is reverse-index, which stores a table of IP, port, protocol, and status in the registry where just the IP would be sufficient to generate the output. I left it alone because 1. it is not a default script and 2. the extra information may be used for future expansions of the script.

I am willing to commit any or all of these patches, as I have tested them myself and found no problems. Any comments or further testing is much appreciated, though.

Dan

[1] http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#nse-api-registry