Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: top-ports range

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 06:21:05 -0500

Toni, David,

The use of -p with --top-ports is supported, since it's what I took
advantage of for this perl-based workaround to the lack of an
--exclude-ports option: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q2/159

The way it currently works is: -p specifies a set of ports, and
--top-ports specifies how many of the most popular ports in that set
get scanned. So -p 80,443,1234 --top-ports 2 would scan only 80 and
443. It's not likely many people are relying on this behavior, but
it's important to note that it exists.

Dan