Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] sip-extensions.nse

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 04:45:17 -0700

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:14:41AM +0100, Hani Benhabiles wrote:
On 06/29/2012 09:07 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
There seems to be some overlap here with sip-enum-users?
Or am I missing something?

Hi Patrik,

SIP servers in the wild use usually either usernames or numbers as
extensions. The later seems to be more common as I came across it
more often and given how many testing tools and suites (i.e
sipvicious, metasploit aux etc...) focus on scanning ranges of
numbers (with things such as padding 0's) rather than on usernames
from a dictionnary list. I believe having two separates scripts that
do simple and effective work depending on the situation is better
than one bloated script with many options and requiring the user to
supply many script-arguments.

I disagree with this thought. There should not be two scripts with two
implementations of what is basically the same function.

Both scripts should be the same script and should probably use the brute
library. A custom user name iterator can handle creating all the numeric
extensions. There are not many name in usernames.lst, so checking them
in addition to extensions will not be much more cost.

David Fifield